This past week has been a bit hectic. It’s currently week five of Spring Quarter here at Drexel and midterms are in full swing, which means exams and projects galore! I currently feel like my body is functioning at supersonic speed to get everything done by the due dates and I’m a bit afraid that when I slow down I might just collapse into a pile of dust. But you know, it’s honestly fine *insert nervous laughter here*.
In all of this craziness it seems like everyone is either running on four hours of sleep or recovering from their third all nighter in a row. The gas station energy drink shelves are bare and coffee shops are being rampaged by zombie like college students in desperate need of caffeine. Campus is pretty much the set of an apocalyptic movie scene.
In all seriousness, though, (and with much less exaggeration) it’s important to remember to take care of ourselves, especially in the midst of midterms and finals. Our bodies aren’t meant to run purely on energy drinks and Starbucks. And at some point, the sleeplessness is going to catch up to you.
So, sleep deprived students everywhere! This is your reminder to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! And here is a convenient five point list on how to do exactly that:
- GET SLEEP: This past weekend I stayed up until around 3:00 a.m. every night…this makes me sound like a super cool partier who was out running wild in the town, but sadly, I can’t lie. I was not out taking part in any shenanigans. Instead, I was sitting at my desk in my dorm room stressing over projects. But staying up so late just made the next day awful and I really felt like I had just walked out of a zombie movie. So get an adequate amount of sleep! Try to get your work completed early enough so that you have time to get that full eight hours of rest in! Also, power naps will be your best friend.
- REMEMBER TO EAT: Food is fuel for your body, and you can’t function without it. Even though you might be super stressed and think that there’s no time for it, you have to make time. Remember to eat well and get all those fruits and veggies in, because what you put into your body is also important. So Easy Mac and Ramen Noodles won’t cut it.
- DRINK WATER: This one’s pretty self explanatory.
- MOVE AROUND: Get up and take a walk, do some stretches, go to the gym etc. Find thirty minutes out of your day to get up and move around. Your body needs exercise and a way to release stress, so take out all of your mid term frustration on the treadmill. (Just make sure you get sleep first, or you might end up looking something like this…)
- TAKE BREAKS: Step away from your work for a bit and do something that YOU enjoy. Read a book, take a nap, go get a snack, meet up with friends…It’s okay to leave your work for a little bit and come back to it.
Just remember that your health (both mental and physical) comes before your schoolwork!
So take care of yourself! You got this!